The requirements for initial acceptance to the School of Nursing for all applicants are:
1. High School Diploma: Graduation from an accredited high school or satisfactory completion of a General Eequivalency Diploma (GED).
2. Chemistry: Completion of a high school level Chemistry course with a minimum "C" grade within ten years of admission to the program. (A college level Basic Chemistry course or a course through www.nursingabc.com with a minimum "C" grade may be substituted); a credit-granting score on the CLEP exam is also acceptable.
3. Entrance Test: Achievement of the national mean on the reading and math sections of the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) www.atitesting.com.
4. New Jersey College Skills Placement Test: Satisfactory performance on the New Jersey College Skills Placement Test (CSPT) or completion of any required academic foundations courses.
5. Transcripts: Submission of two (2) Official High School Transcripts and three (3) Official Transcripts from ALL other educational institutions attended since high school.
6. References: Submission of three professional references (teacher/professor, employer/ supervisor, community service representative/clergy) .
7. Cumulative GPA: A minimum 2.5 Cumulative Grade Point Average.
8. A personal interview (by invitation only) initiated by the Admissions Committee.
9. Preference is given to applicants who have successfully completed college coursework, particularly Anatomy & Physiology. Science and Math courses must have been completed within five (5) years of beginning the first nursing course.
Applicants educated outside the USA for high school and/or college:
1. The TOEFL (Test of English and as a Foreign Language) is required for any student educated outside the USA for high school and/ or college. The School of Nursing TOEFL Destination COD (DI Code) is 2858. To register for the TOEFL iBT, go online to http://ets.org/toefl/ibt/about.
2. Achievement of a score of 83 or better on the TOEFL iBT (Internet version of Test of English as a Foreign Language).
Applicants to the LPN - RN Track: Additional requirements to the LPN - RN track include:
1. Current licensure as an LPN.
2. LPN-STEP Assessment.
A passing score is required. No testing is required for Mercer County Vocational Technical School 1986 or later graduates.
3. Completion* of the following courses with a minimum grade of "C":
Anatomy and Physiology I - 4 credits
Anatomy and Physiology II - 4 credits
English Composition I - 3 credits
Introductory Psychology - 3 credits
Developmental Psychology Across the Lifespan - 3 credits
Pharmacology in Nursing - 3 credits.
Science and math courses must have been completed within 5 years of beginning the first nursing course.
4. One year clinical experience (acute care, sub-acute, logn-term or rehab areas.)
Final acceptance is based on:
1. Successfully passing a drug screening.
2. Undergoing and successfully passing a criminal background check prior to enrolling. In order to take part in the educational program an applicant must not have been convicted of, or pled guilty to, a violent crime, illegal sale, use or theft of controlled dangerous substances or a sexual offense. An applicant whose criminal background check discloses a conviction or unresolved arrest for a crime or misdemeanor that could jeopardize the health, safety or welfare of any patient, employee, student or visitor, may also be barred from entrance to the School.
Prior to enrolling, all accepted applicants must submit the following:
1. Required health history, physical examination and immunization records with all required immunizations and immune titers.
2. Documentation of satisfactory completion of the American Heart Association Basic Cardiac Life Support course for Health Care Providers (HCP).
3. Documentation of Professional Liability Insurance coverage.
4. Documentation of medical insurance coverage.
* Students wishing to transfer from another accredited RN program should contact the Student Affairs Coordinator for further details.
To schedule a date and time to take the TEAS Test go to www.atitesting.com . For additional information E-mail: sfmcson@StFrancisMedical.org